Saturday, December 10, 2011

Uncommon Reaction

Tonight was different, to say the least. I spent a good five or six hours with a beer in my hand watching people buzz around a room. People hugging, and kissing, and crying. Various emotions and physical attributes in a confined space. And there I was. Standing, or sitting, or walking in one corner. Socializing with some and smiling at others. But there was no evil smirk lurking behind my eyes. My mouth held an upward crescent and not one negative connotation escaped from my lips.

Everything was so smooth and easy. Even the most repulsive moments. That second someone came up to me and said "Aaron is puking in the sink.." I simply laughed, snapped on some gloves, took him to the bathroom, and cleaned out the sink. Not much longer, it was the same thing. Just this time, it was Jessi. And once again, bleach and gloves became my best friend. Even with the scent of vomit filling the air, I held my smile. There was nothing that was going to damage that tonight. Regardless of who was doing what, or who was doing who, I took care of what needed to be taken care of, and went back to my friends and my date.

People kept coming up to me in flashes. Expressing just how great of a person I am, how wonderful of a friend I must be. Flattered as I was, I don't see why doing what I was doing would consider me a good person at all. How do you know who I am? What I do behind the shadows that the trees cast? And more so than anything, why is being kind such a rare act? Do friends not clean puke out of their best friends sinks? Is it abnormal to hand a cup of water to a stranger and tell them you'll be there for them? To give a homeless man a cup of soup and hold a human conversation with him for a few minutes?

Or waiting until everyone leaves, no matter what time it is in the morning, and cleaning your best friends kitchen? I enjoyed it! I took joy in throwing out the garbage, getting rid of the empty and half full containers and wiping away the muck and mess people left behind. I truly felt happy in those moments. I felt fulfilled and content. 

I just don't see why doing what's right makes me a good person. If anything, I believe it just makes me human. And I hope someone else would do the same for me one day.

I'm changing into a person I like very much. Someone who enjoys the simple things again. Who can sit there and say "Who the hell are you? Nice to meet ya!" all in the same sentence. Someone who can take it slow because moving fast only means you'll miss the small things.

I'm happy with the way things are tonight. I can't guarantee this feeling will stick around, but tonight I'm happy. With everything and everyone. Including the people who left.


No comments:

Post a Comment